This apprenticeship is your starting point to becoming a qualified Aircraft Engineer – a highly-skilled and respected profession. You’ll get to hone your hands-on skills by working on the country’s largest, most modern and varied fleet. Guided by experienced colleagues, you’ll learn, earn and gain what could be the first of many qualifications on your engineering career journey.
Online chat to George, one of our Aircraft Maintenance apprentices, using this link
Foundation qualification Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2 and CAA Part-66 A Licence Modules (potentially based off-site and living away from home).
Year 2 & 3
Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence) & completion of CAA Part-66 A Licence qualification.
About the programme
You’ll work alongside and learn from some incredibly talented engineers. Every day, you’ll develop your skills on real aircraft, in a real job. Over a series of placements, you’ll work on all our aircraft fleets, gaining the experience and knowhow to help keep them in perfect working order. You’re going to be busy. Alongside comprehensive on-the-job training, you’ll be studying towards the qualifications you need to become one of our future Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
The initial induction to the business for this Apprenticeship will take place at our London Heathrow base. For the remainder of the first year, you may be based off-site and living away from home which is where you will train and study towards your CAA Part-66 A Licence Modules, as well as a Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2.
For years two and three, you will return to Heathrow to work alongside our engineers. You’ll continue to study towards achieving a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship (Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician - Fixed and Rotary Wing); and by completing a Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence).
- Work with our engineering teams and develop your skills by helping with the maintenance of our full fleet of aircraft.
- Be involved in routine aircraft servicing and help with any minor repairs or modifications.
- Learn about the importance of health, safety and security in everything our engineering teams do.
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and coursework.
- Gain formal qualifications that will set you up for a successful career as an Aircraft Maintenance Technician.
What we look for
- You need to hold, or be predicted to obtain, the following grades before the Apprenticeship:
- Five GCSE grades 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent which must include Science, English & Maths. - Maths GCSE must be a minimum Grade 5 (B).
- A genuine interest in, and passion for engineering.
- Strong communication skills.
- Awareness of safety issues.
- Self-motivation to learn and develop.
- Ability to act on own initiative.
- Adaptability to change.