This apprenticeship is your starting point to becoming a qualified Aircraft Engineer – a highly-skilled and respected profession. You’ll get to hone your hands-on skills by working on the country’s largest, most modern and varied fleet. Guided by experienced colleagues, you’ll learn, earn and gain what could be the first of many qualifications on your engineering career journey.
Foundation qualification Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2 and CAA Part-66 A Licence Modules (potentially based off-site and living away from home).
Year 2 & 3
Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence) & completion of CAA Part-66 A Licence qualification.
This programme is currently closed for applications. Please sign up for job alerts here, to receive notifications on when this apprenticeship programme will be opening for applications.
About the programme
You’ll work alongside, and learn from some incredibly talented engineers. Every day, you’ll develop your skills on real aircraft, in a real job. Over a series of placements, you’ll work on all our aircraft fleets, gaining the experience and knowhow to help keep them in perfect working order. You’re going to be busy. Alongside comprehensive on-the-job training, you’ll be studying towards the qualifications you need to become one of our future Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
The initial induction to the business for this Apprenticeship will take place at our London Heathrow base. For the remainder of the first year, you may be based off-site and living away from home which is where you will train and study towards your CAA Part-66 A Licence Modules, as well as a Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2.
For years two and three, you will return to our Heathrow Base to work alongside our engineers with the potential to be placed in one of our UK operational bases. You’ll continue to study towards achieving a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship (Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician - Fixed and Rotary Wing); and by completing a Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence).
- Work with our engineering teams and develop your skills by helping with the maintenance of our full fleet of aircraft.
- Be involved in routine aircraft servicing and help with any minor repairs or modifications.
- Learn about the importance of health, safety and security in everything our engineering teams do.
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and coursework.
- Gain formal qualifications that will set you up for a successful career as an Aircraft Mechanic or Engineer.
What we look for
- You need to hold, or be predicted to obtain, the following grades before the Apprenticeship:
- Five GCSE grades 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent which must include Science, English & Maths. - Maths must be minimum Level 5/6 (B).
- A genuine interest in, and passion for engineering.
- Strong communication skills.
- Awareness of safety issues.
- Self-motivation to learn and develop.
- Ability to act on own initiative.
- Adaptability to change.
Important qualification information
- You must have achieved your GCSEs before starting in September 2021.
- You are ineligible for the Apprenticeship if you hold, or are due to achieve, any of the following qualifications (please look out for experienced Engineer roles on our team instead). - A C&G level 3 qualification in Aircraft Maintenance. - An HNC/HND or degree in Engineering. - Any EASA Part 66 A or B license modules. - Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations if achieved with aeronautical pathway/units.
As part of your application process, we will be asking you a few questions to establish if you are eligible for funding as part of this apprenticeship. All information you give will be checked and verified later.Here is what you will be asked for when you apply:
- Confirmation that you don’t already hold a qualification in the subject area of the Apprenticeship at the same or a higher level.
- Are you able to prove that you have the right to live and work full time in the UK, without sponsorship from British Airways?
- Do you hold a valid and current passport for the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland?
- Can you confirm that you have not lived or worked outside of the UK with-in the last three years?
If you are able to satisfy the above entry and eligibility criteria, then we encourage you to apply!
If you’re not a UK passport holder we’ll need you confirm that you don’t already have a disqualifying qualification, that you have lived in the UK continuously for the last three years, and that, if you hold a visa, you don’t have any work restrictions.
Based on your responses we’ll do some further checks to confirm your eligibility for the programme.