Can’t wait to set out on your own journey? Our Apprenticeships appeal to the adventurous. The spirited individuals who fully intend on earning while getting a head start in their careers, whatever they may be. You needn’t know everything about the world, or even be well-travelled – just curious, mindful and open to new experiences. That kind of confidence will take you a long way, and will only improve with the life lessons, industry qualifications and long-term opportunities we’re offering you.
Each Apprenticeship has been designed to suit different skillsets.
We are proud to feature in the RMA Top 100 Apprentice Employers for 2021.
It’s a very special feeling flying with British Airways – and because we know what goes into such unforgettable experiences, we can bottle it, and teach the future stars of our much-loved customer teams how to share it. Starting with you.
If you’re the type of the person who can strike up a connection with anyone, you’ll do well at British Airways.
It may not be the cockpit, but our Business Functions certainly put you in the driving seat. Our Apprenticeships open your eyes to the intricate setup of a truly global business. There’s the chance to pick up skills that put you a cut above the rest, as you stick close to the teams who help steer British Airways.
Business Professional Apprenticeship
You'll learn how a major airline operates and develop the skills needed for you to create an impact from day one.
We wouldn’t be going anywhere if it wasn’t for the sharp heads in our Engineering and Operations team. It’s a big feat sending off hundreds of flights per day, to the furthest corners of the globe. So, we need eager hands and technical competence on the ground to make sure everything runs smoothly.
It feels epic being an engineer on an A320. Help us take care of our aircraft fleet.
Work alongside, and learn from, some of the best engineers in the business.
We would love to chat with you and meet you. You can sign up to our dedicated student website, Speedbird-Z. You can online chat with our colleagues and complete learning modules - it's completely free to use and is designed to build your confidence in employability and further your understanding of our exciting industry. Want to meet us in person? You can see a full list of upcoming events we are hosting or attending here.
Why British Airways/IAG?
We have many benefits for apprentices at British Airways, here are a handful to showcase the diversity of our apprentice community:
- Increase in salary after you have completed the first year of your apprenticeship, if completed in line with your development objectives
- Part of the British Airways apprentice network and community, with the opportunity to engage with apprentices from all schemes in the business and learn from former apprentices
- Involvement in our ambitious sustainability vision, volunteering an active role to champion specific community groups including LGBTQ+ 'Flying Proud' and black excellence 'BeMe'
- Involvement in Community Investment programmes, taking part in fundraising challenges for partnership charities, supporting causes close to your heart
- Volunteering in schools and colleges sharing personal experiences to inspire, motivate and coach students and support their potential to gain employment in the industry we love
- Access to heavily discounted flights to globe trot, and a generous annual leave entitlement to turn your bucket list into reality
Your application journey will differ slightly depending on the role you have applied for.
1. Complete your Online Application
You start by applying online. As part of your online application, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Pre-application questions
- Situational Judgment Test (SJT)
- Abilities Test
Once you have you have successfully completed all the above online, your application will be put on hold until the vacancy has closed. We will then review all applications, and if successful, we will invite you to attend a video interview.
2. Video Interview
You will be asked a handful of questions, and you have to video record yourself giving the answer. This will give you the opportunity to share your passion and personality.
3. Virtual Assessment Centre
The day will start with a presentation from the business; the assessment will include an interview, group exercise and work-related exercise. Don’t worry, prior to the day you will receive full details of where to go and what to expect.
Congratulations! You will receive a phone call to let you know that you have been successful, and an e-contract will be issued shortly after via the online portal. We will invite you to a variety of activities before you start so you can get to know your programme managers and the rest of your cohort; this will give you the chance settle into our British Airways family from the start.