British Airways works in partnership with The Air League Trust to provide gliding scholarships to young people in our local communities.
Our scholarships aim to give students the opportunity to kick start their flying career. The scholarship involves several steps, all designed to gives students an insight to flying, the recruitment process and ultimately the chance to pilot a glider solo.
Gliding to Solo
This unique two-week training scholarship includes:
- All your flying fees which equates to approximately 35-40 flights
- Membership fees for the gliding club
- Travel to and from the scholarship location
- Accommodation for the duration of the scholarship
- Food allowance for the duration of the scholarship
- The Air League Trust membership for a year
If you study hard throughout your scholarship and the weather is kind, you should reach solo standard within this course. Your Air League membership then opens up the opportunity to get involved in numerous aviation activities to help you develop your career path including the opportunity to apply for a further scholarship or bursary. All students who are selected for the scholarship will also be offered a work experience placement at British Airways.
Who can apply?
The Gliding to Solo Scholarship is aimed at full time students in our local communities either at school or college (not university).
To apply, you must:
- Have a valid passport
- Be in aged 16 or above
- Attend a school or college based in one our local community
You must also attend a partnership school or college with one of these postcodes:
- Any UB, TW, RH postcode
- NW10, HA0, HA1, HA2, HA4, HA5, HA6, HA9
- SL0, SL1, SL2, SL3, SL4, SL5
- KT1, KT2, KT13, KT16, KT20
- W3, W4, W5, W6, W7, W12, W13, W14
- SW1, SW3, SW4, SW5, SW6, SW7, SW10
- SE1, SE4, SE13, SE14, SE16, SE17
- CR3, CR5, SM7, BN6
- CF61, CF62, CF63, CF64, CF72, CF81, CF82, CF83
- CF3, CF5, CF10, CF11, CF14, CF15, CF24, CF23, CF37, CF38, CF39
- NP11, NP12
- PA1, PA2, PA3, PA4, PA5, PA6, John Paul Academy, Notre Dame High School, Ayrshire College
Our scholarships are open to students who are at least 16 years old that attend school within the local community to our key hubs across Heathrow, Gatwick, Cardiff and Glasgow. Students are required to meet certain medical requirements.
- Complete an online application via the British Airways Careers Website when applications open. Check the dates on the job advert to ensure you are available for interview, taster days and scholarship dates.
- If your application is successful, British Airways and Air League team will invite you to an interview session.
- If shortlisted you will be invited to a taster day. You will have the opportunity to take control and fly a glider with an instructor at a location near you.
- You will find out if they have been successful in obtaining the scholarship which will take place in August.
Please check back for programme and application dates