Online chat to George, one of our Aircraft Mechanic apprentices, using this link
Year 1 - Performing Engineering Operations Level 2
Year 2 & 3
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Aerospace Engineering)
About the programme
British Airways Engineering Wales are searching for passionate, self-motivated and ambitious future apprentices who relish the opportunity to embark on a first-class engineering journey within the aviation industry. At British Airways Engineering Wales, we are fortunate to have all three Welsh British Airways subsidiaries operating alongside each other at one highly impressive, purpose-built site. This provides a unique and incredibly exciting opportunity for apprentices to experience and see first-hand engineering across all of the British Airways fleet, including aircraft maintenance, interiors and aircraft avionics.
The apprenticeship, based at Coleg y Cymoedd, Nantgarw Campus, will be full time on an enhanced engineering programme in year one. You will study a technical certificate as well as an NVQ practical qualification. The enhanced engineering programme has been developed to equip you with the skills, knowledge and understanding you need to enter into a career in the Engineering industry.
On successful completion of year one, you will then work on site at British Airways Engineering Wales (BAEW) in year two, with one day released to college per week. During this year you will work towards the second year of your technical certificate and in the workplace, you will follow an industry relevant NVQ practical qualification. Year three will see you work full time on location at British Airways Engineering Wales whilst continuing with the second year of the NVQ practical qualification. Placements will be rotated around all three businesses including British Airways Interiors Engineering, British Airways Avionics Engineering and British Airways Maintenance Cardiff. By the end of the programme, you will be ready to apply for an exciting role within British Airways Engineering Wales and work alongside our world class engineers.
What we look for
We are looking for a strong team player who shows self-motivation and initiative. You will have achieved or are predicted to achieve:
- 5 GCSES A*-C including a B grade in Maths, C or above in English Language and Science. Alternatively, we will accept Level 2 qualification in Engineering (which includes the study of Mathematics and Science at Distinction level).
We also need you to be:
- Over the age of 16 and living in Wales
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- If over 18, ability to work the current shift pattern which comprises 4 x 12-hour days (6.20am – 6.30pm) followed by 4 rest days
- If under 18, ability to work a standard day shift (8.30am – 4.35pm)
Important qualification information
- You must have achieved the required minimum grades before starting in August.