Change is in the air. Our maintenance department is evolving to open up a whole new world of possibilities and that includes greater flexibility on aircraft type ratings. This means we’ll provide you with all the training to certify our aircraft while you’re in your leadership role.
A time of investment and growth in our fleet, producing endless opportunities for our Engineers. We have a number of different aircraft you can work on. A320s, B777s, B787s, A350s and A380s. We continue to grow out fleet with more A350s and Boeing 787 Dreamliners on the way.
You’ll quickly discover that no two days are ever the same at BA. With 111 long-haul and 142 short-haul aircraft the possibilities are endless. There are opportunities in both our line and hangar-based teams with a number of different shift patterns available. But most importantly, we’ll give you all the ownership and trust to do the best job you can, building your confidence and improving your decision making skills with the support of a qualified team of mechanics and technicians.
A new era in engineering maintenance is here, and we’ll be looking to our licenced aircraft engineers to help us lead it. If you want to be part of the change, you’ve come to the right place.
What you’ll do
It’s an opportunity to learn new skills, develop your talents and advance your career. It’s a chance to get to grips with a wide variety of aircraft and the kind of technical challenges that will put you to the test. Make the most of these and the only limit on how far you can go will be your ability and desire to get there.
Your focus will be on ensuring all aircraft in our fleet are airworthy. This means going above and beyond the standard set out by regulators to meet our own Engineering Quality procedures. This will involve carrying out a range of specific maintenance tasks, from component changes and routine checks to general visual and surveillance inspections. Recording and documenting these changes will also be a core part of your role.
- Can lead maintenance tasks within your scope of authorisation to agreed targets and expectations
- Actively develop your skills and experience supporting the delivery of departmental objectives
- Responsible for the successful completion of all allocated, planned and ad-hoc maintenance tasks
- Ensures compliance with safety, company procedures, regulatory and airmanship standards
- Ensures and supports effective communication
- Builds a culture of continuous improvement in a production environment
- Supports the development of a high performance team and culture
- Responsible for remaining qualified and authorised on all aircraft types, vehicles and equipment applicable to area and able to carry out all tasks associated with the Technician role
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment by adhering to quality, health, safety and environment regulations and housekeeping standards
- Ensure the requirements of competency checks in accordance with British Airways Quality procedures are met
- Carries out IT and documentary transactions as required, making full use of technology
- Understanding of material consumption, ordering and ‘fit and remove’ process
- Expected to further own knowledge and skills base with training, use of technology and experience
Who you will work with
Duty Shift Manager (your line manager), Satellite Engineers, all Production grades, Ramp/Base Planning, Engineering Control Centres and Technical Support Group (Part M)
You will need
- EASA Part-66 Category A licence (fixed wing turbine)
- Applications are also welcome from holders of B1 licences without type ratings
- 6 months demonstrable maintenance experience in a Part 145 environment in the last 2 years
- UK Driving Licence (and Airside Driving Licence desirable)
You will be
- Your success will be a combination of technical experience and leadership behaviours
- Problem solving and acting on own initiative is important so you can make timely and informed decisions with an ability to bring together and understand complex information
- Ability to interpret technical publications to make fact-based decisions in a challenging operational environment is key. To combine these capabilities with an innovative, flexible and adaptable approach
- Strong collaborative skills are needed as you manage a team
- Strong prioritisation, planning and organisation will mean you can deliver the British Airways operation on time
What we can offer you
- The overall package reflects your status in the maintenance department, the expertise and leadership you'll bring, encouraging the team to deliver to their full potential.
- A variety of shift patterns are available to suit your work life balance attracting competitive shift pay
Training and Development we can offer:
- Our specialist technical training facility at Heathrow is the venue for all our type course training
- We offer a wide range of industry leading Part-147 / Part-145 training, which includes the latest Aircraft types, technological classrooms and simulators
- Access to a suite of personal and developmental professional training through our Global Learning Academy at Heathrow
- Opportunities to gain your B1 and/or B2 Licences with type ratings, to develop your career further.
- Opportunity to do a type course to gain a BA type for B1/B2 licence holders, and develop your career to a Licenced Aircraft Engineer.
At British Airways we offer a wide range of flexible benefits such as:
- A pension scheme with potential contributions of up to 16.5% (if you contribute 5% BA will contribute 11.5%)
- A flexible benefits scheme which gives you the option to buy from a range of benefits such as private medical insurance, life assurance, and critical illness cover
- Discounted confirmed flights for friends and family on BA from date of joining
- After six months in role, access to standby flights (with eligibility for the Club cabin) for yourself and two nominees
- Discounted standby travel on other airlines in the oneworld alliance
- Discounts on car hire, hotels, leisure activities, entertainment and many more
- Free parking at work and free parking at Heathrow whilst on holiday for up to two weeks at a time
Please ensure you upload a scanned copy of your EASA Part-66 licence and your UK Driving Licence when you submit your application
Working in Heathrow
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train Stations & Bus Stops, Gyms, Restaurants and more.