Change is in the air. Our engineering department is evolving to open up a whole new world of possibilities and that includes greater flexibility on aircraft type ratings. This means we’ll provide you with all the training to certify our aircraft while you’re in your leadership role.
A time of investment and growth in our fleet, producing endless opportunities for our Engineers. We have a number of different aircraft you can work on. A320s, B777s, B747s, B787s and A380s. We are growing our A320neo fleet and on the way are A350s and more Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
You’ll quickly discover that no two days are ever the same at BA. With 133 long-haul and 141 short-haul aircraft the possibilities are endless. There’s both line and hangar-based teams, and different shift patterns available too, with opportunities at both Heathrow and Gatwick. But most importantly, we’ll give you all the ownership and trust to do the best job you can, building your confidence and improving your decision making skills with the support of a qualified team of mechanics and technicians.
A new era in engineering is here, and we’ll be looking to our licenced aircraft engineers to help us lead it. If you want to be part of the change, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
You will deliver in two key areas:
- Leads maintenance activities including setting clear targets and expectations
- Develops and motivates your team to its full potential and scope to deliver departmental objectives
- Ensures team and individual compliance with appropriate company procedures, policies, legal and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the successful completion of all allocated, planned and ad-hoc maintenance tasks. This is expected to be achieved through effective leadership, supervision of maintenance and efficient allocation of resources, equipment and assets
- Provides guidance for individual and team maintenance activities, ensuring compliance with safety, company procedures, regulatory and airmanship standards Ensures and supports effective communication
- Crafts a culture of continuous improvement in a production environment, in order to increase unit performance and colleague development Supports the development of a high performance team and culture
- Mentoring new talent which is part of our apprenticeship scheme
- Responsible for remaining qualified and authorised on all aircraft types, vehicles and equipment applicable to area
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment by adhering to quality, health, safety and environment regulations and housekeeping standards
- Conduct competency checks in accordance with British Airways quality procedures Carries out IT and documentary transactions as required, making full use of technology
- Expected to further own knowledge and skills base
Who you will work with
- Duty Shift Manager (your line manager), Satellite Engineers, all Production grades, Ramp/Base Planning, Engineering Control Centres and Technical Support Group (Part M)
You will need
- An Unrestricted EASA Part-66 Category B1 and/or B2 licence
- For B1, hold a minimum of one type rating in the B1.1 Category (turbofan or turboprop)
- For B2, hold a minimum of one type rating in the B2 Category (fixed wing or rotary)
You will be
- Your success will be a combination of technical experience and leadership behaviours
- Problem solving and acting on own initiative is important so you can make timely and informed decisions with an ability to bring together and understand complex information
- Ability to interpret technical publications to make fact-based decisions in a challenging operational environment is key. To combine these capabilities with an innovative, flexible and adaptable approach
- Strong collaborative skills are needed as you manage a team
- Strong prioritisation, planning and organisation will mean you can deliver the British Airways operation on time
What we can offer you
- The overall package reflects your status in the engineering department, the expertise and leadership you'll bring, encouraging the team to deliver to their full potential.
- As a permanent employee of British Airways, you'll also receive the full range of company benefits
- A competitive basic salary dependent on experience, reviewed annually
- A variety of shift patterns are available to suit your work life balance attracting competitive shift pay
Training and Development we can offer:
- Our specialist technical training facility at Heathrow is the venue for all our type course training
- We offer a wide range of industry leading Part-147 / Part-145 training, which includes the latest Aircraft types, technological classrooms and simulators
- Access to a suite of personal and developmental professional training through our Global Learning Academy at Heathrow
At British Airways we offer a wide range of flexible benefits such as:
- A pension scheme with potential contributions of up to 16.5% (if you contribute 5% BA will contribute 11.5%)
- A flexible benefits scheme which gives you the option to buy from a range of benefits such as private medical insurance, life assurance, and critical illness cover
- Discounted confirmed flights for friends and family on BA from date of joining
- After six months in role, access to standby flights (with eligibility for the Club cabin) for yourself and two nominees
- Discounted standby travel on other airlines in the oneworld alliance
- Discounts on car hire, hotels, leisure activities, entertainment and many more
- Free parking at work and free parking at Heathrow whilst on holiday for up to two weeks at a time
- Interviews will be held in December and January, with start dates offered from May 2019 onwards
Working in Heathrow
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train Stations & Bus Stops, Gyms, Restaurants and more.