Change is in the air. Our engineering department is evolving to open up a whole new world of possibilities. It is a phenomenal time to join us.
A time of investment and growth in our fleet, producing endless opportunities and interesting work. We have a number of different aircraft, A320s, B777s, B747s, B787s and A380s. We are growing our A320neo fleet and on the way are A350s and more Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
You’ll quickly discover that no two days are ever the same in this role. With 133 long-haul and 141 short-haul aircraft the possibilities are endless. But most significantly, we’ll give you all the ownership and trust to do the best job you can and deliver real change to the business.
A new era in engineering is here, and we’ll be looking for an Operational Manager to sit on our leadership team and lead this change. If you want to be part of the change, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
- This is a rare opportunity to join the Operational Maintenance department as a leading Operational Manager. Someone who can make a difference in the dynamic environment of Heathrow as we strive to have command and control at our front line.
- If you have an ambition to lead a large team of Engineering specialists delivering excellent front line operational performance then this role will be for you.
- This role requires a hardworking and passionate individual with a dedicated approach to new challenges, who will be a vital part of the team and responsible for driving the consistent delivery of operational requirements.
- You will be setting the direction, making decisions and finding solutions to challenges in a pressurised environment. You will work to clear performance metrics and deadlines, be able to be agile and adjust the plan, all while striving to continuously improve to support Engineering in the delivery of serviceable aircraft on-time to the BA flying operation.
- As the Operations Manager you will be accountable for ensuring a high level of service to our customers and working closely with other departments. You will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with all Health, Safety, and Security policies, as well as aligning with Quality and Airworthiness regulations.
Who you will work with
Engineering Leadership Team, Maintrol, Planning, Supply Chain, Trade Unions, Suppliers, Regulatory authorities.
You will need
- Vital to this role are strong people management skills combined with resilience, flexibility and a can-do approach. You will also have a technical background and an extensive understanding of the engineering operation and Part 145.
- A skilled communicator is key so you can set expectations and gain confidence and respect from those around you.
- You need to role model the behaviours of ownership and accountability, being strong enough to challenge and build these behaviours in others.
If you love the buzz of being the accountable leader this role is for you. Calm under pressure and able to build an effective team are staples of this role. You would be excited by the ownership you will have and responsibility to make the big decisions. It will never be boring.
What we can offer you
The overall package reflects your status as a leader in the engineering department. As a permanent employee of British Airways, you’ll receive the full range of company benefits.
We can offer a basic salary plus competitive shift pay within the management grade for this role.
You would be working a day shift Monday to Friday but need the flex to be able to work lates and weekends if the operation requires it.
At British Airways we offer a wide range of flexible benefits for your level of role, such as
- A pension scheme where you could have a potential to contribute 5% and BA will contribute 11.5%
- Health care our yourself with option to pay for dependents
- Discounted confirmed and standby flights up to first class.
- Regular salary reviews and a yearly performance bonus scheme
- Discounts on car hire, hotels, leisure activities, entertainment and many more
- Childcare vouchers
- Free parking at work and options for parking whilst on holiday
- Access to dedicated training and professional development through our Global Learning Academy.
An initial telephone assessment with our Head of Operational Maintenance for you to understand the role and for them to understand more on your work history.
Followed by a face to face assessment at London Heathrow.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.
Working in Heathrow
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train Stations & Bus Stops, Gyms, Restaurants and more.