Change is in the air. Our engineering department is evolving to open up a whole new world of possibilities and roles.
A time of investment and growth in our fleet, producing endless opportunities for our Engineers. We have a number of different aircraft, A320s, B777s, B747s, B787s and A380s. We are growing our A320neo fleet and on the way are A350s, B777-9 and more Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
You’ll quickly discover that no two days are ever the same in this role. With 133 long-haul and 141 short-haul aircraft the possibilities are endless and ever shift is exciting and different. But most significantly, we’ll give you all the ownership and trust to do the best job you can, building your confidence and improving your decision making skills with the support of a qualified team of LAEs, mechanics and technicians.
A new era in engineering is here, and we’ll be looking to our Satellite Technical Engineers to help us lead it. If you want to be part of the change, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
This role is located at London Heathrow and is based within the terminal line maintenance environment, leading our Licensed Aircraft Engineers, Technicians and Mechanics on shift to oversee over 350 departures every day.
It is divided into two main areas. Resource and technical management, providing leadership to our Line Maintenance Engineers.
- Deliver the operation to defined production targets ensuring alignment to the maintenance plan and aircraft compliance
- Provide effective leadership of maintenance colleagues, setting and managing clear expectations to deliver the operation on the day
- Allocate tasks as required by the maintenance plan
- Champion high quality standards, monitor trends, and oversee continuous improvement in order to define and implement permanent solutions
- To ensure communication of aircraft in work status, and oversee requirements between Planning and Production departments
- You will be the point of contact for all Engineers, flight crew and planning
- Provide technical support as first point of contact for operational colleagues
- Provide technical feedback to business stakeholders as appropriate, including Technical specialists and Planning
- Support engineers with complex technical issues, you will need to understand technical documents and new technologies
- This is a front line role and you will be actively engaging with the engineers rectifying the defects
Who you will work with
Duty Shift Manager (your line manager), all Production grades, Ramp/Base Planning, Engineering Control Centres and Technical Support Group (Part M), other Duty Engineering Delivery Managers (Satellite Technical Engineers).
You will need
- Aircraft maintenance EASA Part-66 B licence holder with demonstrable experience of certifying in an aircraft maintenance environment
- We will accept applicants with any commercial type ratings (BA specific type training is available)
- Ability to hold an airside pass
Skills and Expertise Required
- A combination of technical experience and leadership behaviours
- Problem solving and acting on own initiative is meaningful so you can make timely and informed decisions with an ability to bring together and understand complex information
- Ability to interpret technical publications to make fact-based decisions in a challenging operational environment is key. To combine these capabilities with a creative, flexible and adaptable approach
- Strong collaborative skills are needed as you develop a team
- Strong prioritisation, planning and organisation will mean you can deliver the British Airways operation on time
- Good influencing skills
If you love the buzz of being the lead and main point of contact on shift this role is for you. Calm under pressure and able to solve problems quickly are staples of this role. You would be excited by the ownership you will have and responsibility to make the big decisions. It will never be boring.
What we can offer you
The overall package reflects your status in the engineering department. As a permanent employee of British Airways, you’ll receive the full range of company benefits.
We can offer a basic salary plus competitive shift pay within the management grade for this role. We will also ensure you keep your licence recency.
Various shift patterns are currently worked based on 12 hour and 8 hour attendance.
At British Airways we offer a wide range of flexible benefits such as:
- A pension scheme where you could have a potential to contribute 5% and BA will contribute 11.5%
- Health care for yourself with option to pay for dependents
- 26 days annual leave plus 8 lieu days (for 8-hour shift patterns); 22 days annual leave plus 8 lieu days (for 12-hour shift patterns)
- Discounted confirmed and standby flights
- Yearly salary reviews and performance bonus scheme
- Discounts on car hire, hotels, leisure activities, entertainment and many more
- Childcare vouchers
- Free parking at work and options for parking whilst on holiday
- Access to dedicated training and professional development through our Global Learning Academy
An initial telephone assessment with one of our Operations Managers for you to understand the role and for us to discuss your work history with you.
Followed by a face to face assessment at London Heathrow w/c 22nd and 29th April.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.
Working in Heathrow
Take a look at the map to see what’s nearby. Train Stations & Bus Stops, Gyms, Restaurants and more.