Can you imagine a better feeling than working with our Boeing and Airbus aircraft? Join our Fleet Support Facility team at Heathrow and we’ll train you in the latest aircraft repair technologies, as you get to know the most sophisticated tech in the sky, inside-out. This is an Apprenticeship that’s all about hands-on job satisfaction.
Foundation qualification (Level 2) in Manufacturing delivered full time at Kingston College.
Year 2 & 3
Completion of your Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) as a Workshop Mechanic, obtaining a BTEC Level 3 in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and a Level 3 NVQ Extended Diploma in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering.
We will also supplement your learning with additional Aircraft related training in Air Legislation, Human Factors and Aircraft Composite repairs.
This programme is currently closed for applications. Please sign up for job alerts here, to receive notifications on when this apprenticeship programme will be opening for applications.
About the programme
Over three and a half years, you’ll earn your stripes under the best engineers in the business. They’ll hone your engineering skills, giving you aircraft components to repair in both ‘ramp’ and ‘hangar’ environments. You’ll rotate through different workshops, picking up various sets of knowledge, so you understand the nature of every highly sophisticated component. Every day will feel new, and you’re going to be busy. Alongside training on the job, you’ll be studying for the qualifications you need to become one of our future Workshop Engineers.
You’ll have the confidence to communicate with people at all levels and the common sense to act on your own initiative. It can be high-pressure work and you might need to adapt to industry changes, while always putting safety first. But, as regulated as this environment can be, we’ll also look to you for fresh ideas. We want your input on everything from process to practice.
- Work with our engineering teams and develop your skills fixing aircraft components and conducting ‘on-wing’ repairs across our full fleet of aircraft.
- Be involved in component workshop checks and help with significant composite and sheet metal repairs. You’ll be working with and repairing components using the latest materials, processes and technologies, from a simple panel job to a complete engine thrust reverser.
- Learn about the importance of health, safety and security in everything our engineering teams do.
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and coursework.
- Gain formal qualifications that will set you up for a successful career as an Aircraft Workshop Technician.
What we look for
- Must hold or be predicted to obtain the following grades before the Apprenticeship start date: - Five GCSE grades 9 -4 (A*-C) or equivalent (must include Science, Maths & English; minimum 5 (C)) achieved prior to start date.
- Your application will not be considered if you have achieved prior qualifications in the following: - HNC/HND or Degree in Engineering. - BTEC Level 3 in Engineering.
- Genuine interest in and passion for engineering.
- Strong communication skills.
- Awareness of safety issues.
- Self-motivation to learn and develop.
- Ability to act on own initiative.
- Adaptability to change.
- Ability to work in team.
Important application information
- You will be required to attend college full time in Kingston upon Thames and must be able to travel or relocate.